For going an extra-mile, sportsperson needs extra performance, which comes from well balanced diet and exercise. You are what you eat. The food provides all the essential vitamins, minerals, proteins and other nutrients. Good nutrition enhances a sporting performance. Hence, a careful consideration is must when selecting what to eat.
A combination of different food items gives a balanced diet. This would include:
1. Protein rich foods – A protein rich diet helps you in many ways such as, increases your metabolism, stabilises your blood sugar levels, aids in healing of bones and slow ageing. Eggs are considered as the healthiest and great source of protein.
2. Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates break down into sugar (glucose), body’s primary energy source. This happens during digestion and later this glucose is converted into glycogen which can later be used as an energy source.
3. Vegetables and Fruits – Consuming the right balance of food and drink is important for everyone, be it a common man with sedentary lifestyle or anyone involved in sports and works strenuously. Eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables helps maintain health and improves performance. Dark green vegetables should be eaten regularly.
Thus, a well-planned wholesome diet would meet a sportsperson’s daily requirements and provide sufficient protein and nutrients to promote and repair physical fitness. They also need to stay hydrated throughout and consume the necessary amount of water.
A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure that puts a healthy kidney within the body of a patient. The kidney can come from both living and expired donors. While a new kidney will usually begin functioning immediately after the transplant, it is important to remember that it is a” foreign body” till it finds total acceptance by your immune system and therefore, will have to be careful about its health.
Soon after the transplant, one will need to take certain medicines to prevent the rejection of the new kidney by the body. If rejection does happen you will have to undergo anti rejection therapy.. To prevent rejection, you will need to take immunosuppressant medication. Your doctor will prescribe you regarding what and how much to take so as to prevent rejection while keeping side effects at a minimum level.
As a transplant recipient you will be more susceptible to infections due to the intake of immunosuppressant medication, so you will need to see to it that your body is minimally exposed to germs. You don’t need to go overboard and subject yourself to solitary confinement – simple hygiene practices like hand washing with antibacterial soap or hand sanitizer should suffice. By this way most of the infections can be prevented and patient can live a healthy life.
After transplantation, as the patient is free from dialysis , he or she is going to have improved appetite that can lead to obesity, if not taken care well in form of exercise and diet planning.
The most important thing that you need to know if you are thinking of undergoing kidney transplantation is that you should only approach a reputed kidney transplant hospital. As kidney transplant is a serious procedure, you should only get it done at leading kidney transplant hospitals like Shalby Hospital in India.
For More information, please contact: +91 98240 99953
Total knee replacement is a surgical procedure which consists of removing, reshaping and resurfacing of the roughened bones and implantation of new joint.
2. What is the ideal average age for a knee replacement?
The ideal average age for knee replacement is 45 + years except for Trauma.
3. Is it possible to have Bilateral Knee Surgery (both knees at the same time)?
Yes. It is possible to have Bilateral knee surgery, it will done depending on the situation, the doctors will recommend, if both the knees require replacement, then it is most ideal to undergo Bilateral TKR.
4. What is Zero Technique in TKR?
Total Knee Replacement (TKR) surgery with minimum of every invasive step is called “O” Zero Technique. This process innovation is invented by Dr. Vikram I. Shah, the world renowned knee replacement surgeon of Shalby Hospital, Ahmedabad which revolutionized the Knee Replacement surgery with advantages like:
Reduced surgical time of 8 to 10 minutes!
Minimal incision( cut) which results in less blood loss, reduced intake of medicines and faster recovery
Reduced stay at hospital
Assisted Walk after 2 hours of the surgery
Less burden and anxiety to patients and relatives a like
5. Is this operation painful? How long will the pain last?
This operation is as painful as any other operation. Your pain will be kept under control by a team of pain management consultants (Anesthetists) with the help of oral or intravenous medicines. On special occasions nerve blocks will be used to reduce pain.
6. When can I resume my day to day activities?
Your progress after going home will be roughly as follows:
After going home on the 4th day after surgery you will be asked to walk in the house for 4 to 5 times a day
The stitches on the operative wound will be removed on the 14th to 16th day after surgery
Other activities like swimming, driving a car or riding a two wheeler and kitchen work are permitted after 4 to 6 weeks
If your office work is of sedentary nature, you may start working for weeks after your ooperation
7. When can I Travel?
You can take short flight, 4 days post surgery, long flight can be taken post 15 days
8. What games or sports can I play?
You may play golf, walk briskly or swim. Light weight lifting is allowed.
9. What should I avoid to protect my new artificial joint?
You should not sit on the floor. You may sit cross legged but on a bed or a surface which is at a higher level than the floor
10. Do I need to replace the Implant after 15 to 20 years?
An Implant will last normally for 15 to 20 years. There are choices available as well, to select an implant. At Shalby, the surgeon will recommend the most appropriate one for your conditions during the consultation.